The Parade Hotel was purpose-built as a pub, and opened c.1891 at no.49 South Parade. The licence for the new pub came from the Daniel O' Connell pub in Mill Street, which had closed in 1889. It is shown here in a c.1926 photograph.
The Parade Hotel closed at 3 pm on 4 April 1962, and the licence was transferred to the new Drum & Cymbals pub, on Sibelius Road, which opened at 6 pm on the same day as a condition of the licensing laws.
The Pacific Hotel was built to serve the rapidly developing area known as the Swann Estate, after the land-owner Mr John Wright Swann. This led to the creation and naming of Swann Street, and the Swann pub (Beverley Road), which marked the east and west extent of his estate.
A Bass house for most of its life, it was first licensed in 1873, with the first tenant being Mr William Fewster. Situated on the corner of Fountain Road and St Paul’s Street, the large pub was demolished c.1971, during the wholesale clearance of this area. The photograph here dates from the 1950s.
The origins of this small beer-house are unclear, but George Smith appears to have been the first victualler around 1834. Later numbered nos.37-39 St James Street (known as Cent Per Cent Street until 1831, when St James Church was built), it was situated between English Street and St Marks Square – an area known as The Pottery.
This c.1926 photograph, shows the name Martin H. Cross etched into the window glass; Martin Henry Cross had owned a brewery in Osborne Street, but the Prince of Wales was only a retail outlet for his ales. The Cross’ brewery was taken over by Gleadow & Dibb in 1887, and subsequently became part of the Hull Brewery Co.
The pub was very popular throughout its life with many workers from the engineering factories and railway yards along English Street, but closed 1 August 1960. Its licence was then transferred to the Albion Hotel, in Caroline Street.
To the rear of the present Punch Hotel in Queen Victoria Square, is the site of the original Punch of circa 1845. The original Punch Hotel, shown here c.1890, was built fronting Waterhouse Lane (a section which is now lost beneath the entrance to the Princes Quay shopping complex) and the Hull Advertiser newspaper of the 16 October 1846, published a description of the ‘new’ Punch Hotel.
The re-development of the area around St. John Street and Waterworks Street, at the end of the 19th Century, gave an opportunity to present the Punch in a more prominent position. In 1894-95 the old Punch was demolished, and rebuilt by the Hull Brewery Co in its present form facing the new square - rather than the old lane. The new pub opened in 1896, and continues to trade today.
The Queens Arms was situated at the corner of St John’s Street, and Junction Street, both now lost beneath Queen Victoria Square. Prior to the building of the City Hall, two large blocks of property stood on the site and extended to within yards of the Town Docks buildings – a street known as Junction Street. Following the erection of the Wilberforce Monument near Monument Bridge in 1834, a beer-house opened on the corner opposite – aptly named the Monument Tavern, the first victualler being Mr George Weddell-Headley. Following the accession of Queen Victoria to the throne, Mr Weddell-Headley changed the name to the Queen's Arms Inn circa 1837.
The pub, and all of the buildings around it, were acquired by Hull Corporation at the end of the 19th Century, and demolished for the construction of Queen Victoria Square and the City Hall. Following the demolition the pub’s licence was transferred to the City Hall.
It is ironic to think that a public house named the Queen, once stood on the site now occupied by the statue of Queen Victoria, in what is now Queen Victoria Square. The pub was actually called The Queen, but was always listed in trade directories as the Queen’s Arms.
This pub was established c.1858, and was granted a full licence, when the licence of the Brown Cow on the south side of the Anlaby Road was transferred here c.1863.It was re-constructed in 1907, as seen in this photograph, which dates from the 1950s.
Very popular with artistes visiting the nearby Palace Theatre, and American servicemen during the Second World War, it was a long-time Worthingtons pub, and closed on 12 June 1958. It was demolished c.1967.
The Railway Inn stood on the south side of the Hedon Road, to the west of the entrance to Popple Street. The building was shown on the 1853 Ordnance Survey plan, as part of ‘Marine Terrace’, but no record of it being a pub appears in the trade directories until 1857. George Thompson, a victualler at the Blue Bell pub in Thomas Street – over the road – opened the Railway Inn, naming it after the nearby Victoria Railway terminus, less than a hundred yards to the east.
The Railway Inn closed on 7 December 1933, when its licence – along with that of the Old Greenland Fishery in Wincolmlee, was transferred to a new pub called the Endyke Hotel, on Endyke Lane. The building – by then a café – was damaged during Second World War bombings, and was demolished in the 1940s. A plain breeze-block wall marked the site up until a few years ago, and the site is now empty.
This pub was originally known as the Full Measure, one of the most common names for a public house. Established during the 18th Century, by 1826 it had become known as the Rampant Horse, under a new victualler, Joseph Dinsdale. The name Rampant Horse could possibly have been taken from the coat of arms of a previous owner of the property, or the land on which it stood. The large opening to the left of the bar, led to Dinsdales' Entry, which contained livery stables and was named after the Dinsdale family who ran the pub for more than thirty years.
The Rampant Horse closed in 1966, but the building survived as the last pub building on Mytongate until 1989, when the site was redeveloped for the Grammar School Yard housing complex.
Paisley Street was laid-out in 1866, and the Rampant Horse was first mentioned by name in a trade directory of 1867. Anthony Martindale was the first victualler, when the pub’s address was simply ‘Wold Carr’, as this area was just being developed.
Hewitt’s brewery submitted plans for a new hotel in 1895-96, according to the Works Committee minutes, and the pub was rebuilt in 1895, according to the Licensing Committee minutes.
A Hewitt’s Brewery beer-house initially, it only received a full licence in 1962, and was demolished in the clearance of this area in the 1980s.
The Raywell Hotel was known as Tiger No.3 until 1925, when it was taken over by Moors’ & Robson’s, whose brewery was in Raywell Street. Situated at the south end of Cumberland Street – on the corner of Wincolmlee, it was first licensed in 1874.
This little known pub is shown here in a very rare c.1930 image, and closed c.1960.
Campbell Street was laid out around 1860, and this beer-house – later named the Rising Sun Inn, opened shortly after. Situated at no.98 Campbell Street – on the corner of Studley Terrace – it was created from a conversion of two small houses.
A valuation of the assets of the Hull Brewery Co in 1890, valued the Rising Sun Hotel, as it had become known, at £2500. The arched entrance to the right of the pub, in this photograph of c.1925, led to the stores of John Harold Longbottom – one of a large family of greengrocers with businesses in the area.
The pub closed in August 1962, during widespread redevelopment of the area, and the licence was transferred to a new pub, which was also to be known as the Rising Sun, situated on the Beverley High Road.
The Robin Hood, or Robin Hood & Little John as it had also been known, was established c.1800 or just before. Initially a wine & spirit stores at no.11 Myton Place, by 1803 Mr Richard Hall was listed in the local trade directory as the victualler of the Robin Hood, Myton Place.
The original building would have enjoyed quite a rural location within Myton at this time, surrounded by windmills, gardens and a few grand houses. The 1908 ‘Kingston upon Hull Myton Street Improvement Scheme’, affected the original building, as the street was widened and straightened, and the south end rounded off. In 1909 the owners (Hull Brewery Co) re-built the pub, as shown in this c.1926 photograph. The Robin Hood was demolished in 1968.
West Street was constructed at the end of the 18th Century, and William Blackeston was listed in the 1803 trade directory, as one of the first victuallers of the Rose & Crown.
An entry to the left of the front window, led to the rear rooms of the inn, which included a Smoke Room, and a Dining Room, which had previously been the ‘tap room’ of William Hopwood’s Brewery. The brewery buildings survived until the construction of Jameson Street c.1901. The brewery shared the same address of no.1 West Street, and the same passage also gave access through to the north end of Chapel Street.
The Rose & Crown itself only survived another 29 years, until 8 July 1930, when it was officially closed by the Hull Brewery Co, who received £2,900 in compensation. The site would have been very near to the Hull Drawing Materials premises.
A small pub converted from terraced housing that began life around 1870 as a small beer house, possibly called the Boars Head (1892 directory)? The name may have changed due to a new brewery opening next door - Mooor's & Robson's. Latterly nos.62-64 Francis Street West, the pub closed in the early 1970s but the building remains alongside the original brewery offices, although currently (2013) under threat of demolition or conversion to private accommodation.
The Rose Tavern was established c.1863 at the north end of Alfred Street (no.2), as a licensed Ale & Porter Store run by Dennis Taylor, who was also the long-standing licensee of the Sheffield Arms, on the Hessle Road. By 1867 the pub was also listed as no.37 Hessle Road, as it was the corner property, and the ‘tavern’ – actually a licensed beer-house – was recorded by name as the Rose Tavern in the 1871 Census. Mrs Elizabeth Branton was listed as the beer-house keeper and head of the household in the census, as her husband Charles – the previous keeper – had died in 1870. Also at the property, recorded as no.2 Alfred Street, were her two sons John and William, both scholars. Mr Charles Hart, a stone-mason by trade, was listed as a boarder, and from 1872 Mr Hart was also listed as the licensee of the Rose Tavern.
From the 1880s, Tate’s Brewery of Lime Street in the Groves owned the Rose, and when the company was acquired by the Hull Brewery Co in 1896, the pub was rebuilt as shown in this c.1926 photograph; the rebuilding was recorded in the Town Improvement Committee Minutes in 1896. The new building was of three-storeys, with Dutch gables, and was demolished c.1969-70 under a Compulsory Purchase Order for the area, which also required the demolition of two more old Hessle Road pubs – the nearby Lily Hotel, and Foundry Arms.
Although established c.1822 – and variously known as the Royal Oak, Red Lion and Oak Tree – this pub was best known when run by Pasquale Anthony Rice. Mr Rice was a well-known licensee, hence the local name of Tony’s. Originally situated at no.38 Spencer Street, the pub was tied to Moors’ & Robson’s brewery in 1898 – and unsuccessfully placed on the redundancy list c.1919.
Shown here in a rare 1920s image, the original building was demolished during the construction of Ferensway in 1928-31. A new building was constructed nearby, by Quibell & Son c.1935, and the new address was no.2 Lombard Street, where it remains – now known as the Yorkshireman.