Be Your Own House Detective. David Austin, Mac Dowdy, Judith Miller. BBC Books. London, 1997.
Beverley Borough Records 1575-1821. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Series LXXXIV. Edited by J. Dennett, 1933.
Beverley Guardian Newspaper. Various editions - mostly 19th Century.
Beverley in Mid-Victorian Times. Jan Crowther. Hutton Press Ltd Beverley, 1990.
Beverley Minute Books 1707-1835. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Series CXXI. Edited by K. A. Macmahon, 1958.
Beverley Poll Books. 1784, 1806, 1837, and 1868. (Beverley Local Studies Library).
Beverley’s Pubs. Christopher Ketchell. Local History Unit, Hull College, 1998.
Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable (Millenium Edition). Revised by Adrian Broom. Cassel & Co London, 2001.
Britain in Old Photographs; Around Beverley. Patricia E. Deans and John Markham. Alan Sutton Publishing. Stroud, 1995.
British Inn Signs and their Stories. Eric R Delderfield. David & Charles. Newton Abbot, 1965.
Doorways into Beverley’s past. Berna Moody. Highgate Publications (Beverley) Ltd, 1991.
East Riding of the County of York, Minutes of the Proceedings of the County Licensing Committee 1904-1923. Wright & Hoggard. Minster Press. Beverley, 1924.
East Riding of the County of York, Minutes of the Proceedings of the County Licensing Committee 1924-1934. Wright & Hoggard. Minster Press. Beverley, 1934.
East Riding Friendly Societies. David Neave. East Yorkshire Local History Society. Beverley, 1988.
English Place-Name Society. Volume XIV, the Place Names of the East Riding of Yorkshire. A.H. Smith. Cambridge University Press, 1937.
Hengate, Ladygate, Walkergate 1981. Ivan & Elizabeth Hall, o.b.o. Beverley Friary Preservation Trust. Notes on houses open to the public in 1981.
Highgate 1977. Beverley Friary Preservation Trust. Notes on houses open to the public in 1977.
Historic Beverley. Ivan and Elizabeth Hall. William Sessions Ltd York, 1973.
Hull and East Yorkshire Breweries: From the Eighteenth Century to the Present. Pat Aldabella and Robert Barnard. East Yorkshire Local History Society. 1997.
Hull University Manuscripts and Archives Database, www.hull.ac.uk/lib/archives/humad2
Illustrated Handbook to Beverley. J.J. Sheahan. Green & Son. Beverley, 1903.
Keldgate & Minster Moorgate. Beverley Friary Preservation Trust. Notes on houses open to the public in 1979.
Moors’ & Robson’s Breweries Ltd, A Brief History. Robert Barnard. Hull College Local History Unit. Hull, 1996.
Old Beverley. Philip Brown. East Yorkshire Local History Society in Association with Humberside Leisure Services. Beverley, 1983.
Register of licenses ‘B’ (presumably for Beverley) held at the East Riding Archives in Beverley ref. PSPE/3/1/1.
Report on the Manuscripts of the Corporation of Beverley. Historical Manuscripts Commission. HMSO, 1900.
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments Supplementary Series: 4. Beverley, An Archaeological and Architectural Study. Keith Miller, John Robinson, Barbara English and Ivan Hall. H.M.S.O. London, 1982.
Some Past History of Beverley (George Armstrong’s Diaries). Unpublished facsimile of the hand-written reminiscences of an old Beverley butcher circa 1896-1920. Beverley Local Studies Library (Y/942.74/BEV. B263756993.)
Tales of Old Inns, Richard Keverne (Revised and ed. by Hammond Innes 1947). Collins. London, 1939.
Telephone Directory, Hull & District. Various editions.
The Announcer Newspaper. Various editions - mostly 1930s.
The Beverley Arms, the Story of a Hotel. John Markham. Highgate Publications (Beverley) Ltd, 1986.
The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding. Nikolaus Pevsner and David Neave. Penguin Books. London, 1972 (Revised edition of 1995).
The Development of the Streets of Beverley (Index Edition). David Sherwood. Local History Unit, Hull College. 1996.
The English Inn Past & Present (A Review of its History & Social Life), A E Richardson & H D Eberlein. B T Batsford Ltd London, 1925.
The Inn Places of Beverley. Frank Pinfold and George Higginson. Hutton Press. Beverley, 1988.
The Lost Streets of Beverley. David Sherwood. Local History Unit, Hull College. 1997.
The Old Tiger Inn, Beverley; the Story of a Georgian Coaching Inn. John Markham. Highgate Publications (Beverley) Ltd 1988.
The Oxford Companion to Local and Family History. David Hey (ed.) Oxford University Press. 1996.
The Signboards of Beverley. “The Rambler, an old-time Scribe”, articles from The Announcer newspaper. January to February 1939, Beverley.
The Timber Framed House in England. Trudy West, Newton Abbott, 1971.
The Victoria History of the County of York, East Riding Volume VI: The Borough and Liberties of Beverley. Edited by K.J. Allison. Oxford University Press, 1989.
Trade Directories: Battle’s 1791, 1814/15. Baines’ 1822, 1823, 1826. White’s 1826, 1831. Pigot’s 1834. White’s 1840, 1846. Slater’s 1848. White’s 1851. Slater’s 1855. Melville’s 1855. White’s 1858, 1859. Slater’s 1864. White’s 1867. Kelly’s 1872, 1879. White’s 1882. Slater’s 1887. Kelly’s 1889, 1893, 1897. Cook’s 1899, 1901. Kelly’s 1901, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1912, 1913, 1915, 1916, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1925, 1926, 1929, 1930, 1933, 1937, 1939.
Two Recently Demolished Beverley Buildings. David Neave. An article in the Beverley Civic Society Newsletter circa 1970.
Ward’s Family Almanac (1861-1916). John Ward. Beverley. (Beverley Local Studies Library).
All the location maps and plans in this work have been drawn by the author, and are mostly based on Ordnance Survey plans compiled from the surveys made in 1852-53 and 1890-91. The maps are of no fixed date and are for illustration only. The pubs illustrated did not necessarily exist concurrently with others shown on the same map. The majority of the building plans are held at the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archive Office in Beverley, mostly archived at BOBE/6. The full list of plans consulted is as follows: -
BOBE/6/1873-7 “Alterations to the Oddfellows Arms”
BOBE/6/1874-23 “Two cottages and a tavern in Cherry Tree Lane”
BOBE/6/1875-64 “Alterations to the Reindeer Inn”
BOBE/6/1875-65 “New dram shop window at Royal Standard”
BOBE/6/1876-83 “Alterations at the Beehive Inn”
BOBE/6/1878-146 “Alterations at the Buck Inn”
BOBE/6/1885-152 “Alterations to the spirit vaults in Ladygate”
BOBE/6/1888-211 “Alterations at the Red Lion”
BOBE/6/1895-1 “Additions to the George & Dragon Inn”
BOBE/6/1896-21 “Alterations to the Traveller’s Rest”
BOBE/6/1899-2 “New public house and shop at 30 Toll Gavel”
BOBE/6/1901-26 “Alterations to the Royal Oak”
BOBE/6/1902-13 “Alterations to the Malt Shovel”
BOBE/6/1902-20 “Alterations to the George Inn”
BOBE/6/1902-23 “Alterations to the Moulders Arms”
BOBE/6/1905-9 “Alterations to the Sun Inn”
BOBE/6/1906-13 “Alterations to the Sloop Inn”
BOBE/6/1907-8 “New public house in Holme Church Lane”
BOBE/6/1908-20 “Alterations to the Green Dragon”
BOBE/6/1909-19 “Urinal & Privvies at the Gate Inn”
BOBE/6/1912-8 “Additions to 13 Flemingate”
BOBE/6/1912-10 “Alterations to the Tiger Inn”
BOBE/6/1912-17 “Alterations to the Windmill Inn”
BOBE/6/1913-2 “New doorway for the Beaver Hotel”
BOBE/6/1914-19 “Alterations to the Oddfellows Inn”
BOBE/6/1919-6 “Alterations to the Mariners Arms”
BOBE/6/1921-8 “Alterations to the Buck Inn”
BOBE/6/1922-4 “Alterations to the Kings Head”
BOBE/6/1925-5 “Improvements to the Globe Inn”
BOBE/6/1925-25 “Sanitary improvements at the Cattle Market Tavern”
BOBE/6/1926-2 “Alterations to the Queen’s Head”
BOBE/6/1927-7 “Alterations to the Old White Swan”
BOBE/6/1927-18 “Alterations to the Valiant Soldier”
BOBE/6/1927-42 “Alterations to the Tanners Arms”
BOBE/6/1929-9a “New public house - Dog & Duck”
BOBE/6/1930-30 “Alterations to the Rose & Crown”
BOBE/6/1930-40a “Alterations to the Tiger Inn”
BOBE/6/1930-45 “Alterations to the Tiger Inn”
BOBE/6/1931-9 “New shopfront to the Old Holderness Hotel”
BOBE/6/1936-23 “Alterations to the Durham Ox”
BOBE/6/1936-28 “Rebuilding of Lady Le Gros”
BOBE/6/1936-29 “Alterations at the Moulders Arms”
BOBE/6/1937-3 “Alterations at the Foresters Arms”
BOBE/6/1937-28 “Alterations and additions at the Mariners Arms”
BOBE/6/1938-7 “Alterations and additions at the Sloop Inn”
BOBE/6/1938-14 “Alterations at the Green Dragon”
BOBE/6/1938-27 “New Inn, rebuilding the Foresters Arms”
BOBE/6/1952-782 “Internal alterations at the Malt Shovel”
BOBE/6/1954-964 “Rebuilding the Beehive Inn”
To include every available picture that I have found during my research for the original book would have been prohibitive in terms of cost. You may wish to look at some of the other images of the pubs however, and those available for easy reference are as follows:
Admiral Duncan/Hallgarth Inn: See drawing by Luke Clennell c1835-40 in Old Beverley page 6.
Arden’s Vaults: Interior on page 41 of Historic Beverley.
Beaver: Beverley Library Post Card No.1439 circa 1910, and PC No.1035 (image circa 1861).
Beverley Arms: Engraving in Beverley Art Gallery circa 1780 by Thomas Malton Junior (also reproduced in Old Beverley page 23).
Black Swan: Beverley Library PC No.835 circa 1905.
Cross Keys: Beverley Library has at least one picture in its “Old Beverley file”.
Globe Inn: Beverley Library has pictures of the front and rear in its “Old Beverley file” and some in the “Calvert Collection” file No.5.
Green Dragon: Beverley Library has one picture in its “Old Beverley file”. See also - Old Beverley pages 28, 29 and 30.
Holderness Hotel: See Humberside Libraries postcard re-print No.13 of Toll Gavel circa 1905, which shows the pub on the right.
Kings Head: Beverley Library has one picture in its “Old Beverley file”.
Lord Nelson: Beverley Library has PC No.1825 circa 1905 and one picture in its “Old Beverley file”.
Malt Shovel: Beverley Library has PC No.815.
Nag’s Head: See picture in “Around Beverley” page 71, which shows a part of the building.
Pack Horse: Old Beverley page 29 shows the Pack Horse.
Push Inn: See Old Beverley page 30; Around Beverley page 31 & 32; and Historic Beverley fig.202 on page 84 shows the later Georgian shop fronts.
Queen’s Head: See page 18 of Britain in Old Photographs – Around Beverley, and image No.32 in Old Beverley.
Railway Inn: Beverley Library has PC No.1073.
Spotted Cow: Image No.37 in Old Beverley shows a drawing of the original frontage circa 1845.
Sun Inn: Beverley Library has PC No.1193 circa 1905 and one in its “Old Beverley” file.
Also see wrongly captioned water-colour by Luke Clennell, (circa 1835) in Beverley In Mid-Victorian Times page 51, which is probably the oldest illustration of the Sun Inn (the junction of Flemingate and Eastgate has been confused more than once; the 1826 directory also listed the Sun’s address as Eastgate).
Tiger Inn: See illustration by Luke Clennell cl835-40 in Old Beverley page 40.
Valiant Soldier: Beverley Library has one picture in its “Old Beverley file”.
White Swan: See photo in Old Beverley page 30.
Robert Barnard for support and advice on source material.
Mr. Calvert for permission to copy pictures of the Globe Inn, Pack Horse etc.
Jan & Peter Crowther for discussion regarding the French Horn and the sharing of information and source material.
Pat Elliot for advice on old Beverley maps, plans and news clippins’.
Frank Farnsworth for the use of some postcards.
Chris Ketchell for sharing information, proof reading, debate, discussion and several purely educational visits to the surviving hostelries.
Geoff Percival for information on coins, tokens and pub-checks.
Mrs Pinfold for passing her late husband’s notes to a good home.
David Sherwood for newspaper clippins’, discussion and his ongoing work on the history and development of Beverley’s streets.
Gail Thornton for her patience.
The late Graham Wilkinson for computer tutorials and friendship.
The staff of the Hull Local Studies Library
The staff of the Beverley Local Studies Library
The staff of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives and Records Service
& everyone else who has assisted in any way, shape or form.