Lairgate? See the Green Dragon.
Writing in 1939, the Rambler said of the Malt Shovel: - “The Malt Shovel was at one time prominently emblemised by a Maltster’s Shovel in the front of the licensed house in Walkergate bearing that name”.
John Smith & Co owned the building latterly and plans show they had altered the interior in 1902 (BOBE/6, 1902-13). The plans and a photograph of circa 1940 (see right) show the pub to have been a simple three-bay building similar in appearance to the Buck Inn. To the left of the central entrance and hall was a Tap Room and to the right a Smoke Room. The pub closed in the early 1940s and the building was demolished many years later for the New Walkergate development of June 1967 (detailed in the Beverley Guardian of 23 June 1967). The layout of The Malt Shovel can be seen by clicking the link below.
Select victuallers: - 1867 Benjamin Ross; 1869-70 Thomas Wilson; 1872 Thomas Cobb; 1877 W Beautiman; 1879-89 John Lee; 1892 H Barns; 1893 Mrs Jane Harrison; 1897-99 John Robinson; 1905 Mrs H Smith; 1915-29 Andrew Windle; 1937-39 Herbert Pearce Duffill.
His predecessors at the Mariners Arms were the Loft family (firstly from 1784-1846 as the Plough and later from 1870-80) and Loft’s Yard was mentioned in the 1881 Census. It is probable that the two yards were one and the same and renamed by subsequent landlords.
Alterations were carried out to the Mariners Arms by the owners Darleys Thorne Brewery in the spring of 1919 when a new and enlarged kitchen area was added (architect Richard Whiteing of Ladygate Beverley - BOBE/6, 1919-6). Later alterations meant the loss of the original three rooms and the Mariners has the now ubiquitous large bar. The original small front rooms of the pub were more evidence of the origins of the pub.
The 1852 Ordnance Survey plans show the Plough as a small beer-house just two bays wide - literally one house. By the 1890 plan, noted as the Mariners Arms, it had been extended to take in the properties to its east and west. This expansion gave the Mariners its present six-bay appearance, and on examination it is clearly three small houses made into one property.
Select victuallers: - 1784-1846 Samuel Loft; 1848-51 Martin Lascelles; 1855 Solomon Sollit; 1858-59 Robert Richardson; 1864-67 William Morrell; 1870-72 William Loft; 1877-79 Edwin Loft; 1882-93 George Gapp; 1897-1905 George William Hodgson; 1915-37 Edward Harrison Butt; 1939 John William Clapham; 1965-75 H Craggs; 1987 Ian Atkinson.
Flemingate. Also known as the Plough.
The Census of 1851 recorded Martin Lascelles, an innkeeper and blacksmith aged 42, his wife and two sons present at the Mariners Arms. The authors of The Inn Places of Beverley stated that the Mariners building is a rebuild of an earlier pub the Plough, however the evidence on the ground i.e. the building itself, has features and brickwork (visible at the rear) that could easily be of the late 18th Century and it seems very likely to me that the present Mariners Arms is the same building that was once known as the Plough. The study produced by the Royal Commission on Historic Monuments in the 1980s concluded the building is of 1780-1860 and it is safe to say the present building retains much of the original pub.
The Mariners has Grade II listed building status, and in its official description of 1987 it was suggested that it is of the early 19th Century (DoE serial No.11/67/87). The pub changed name circa 1870 and became the Mariners Arms.
Gapp’s Yard was located on Beckside, near the Mariners Arms and was extant during the 1890s so it was almost certainly named after George Gapp, a victualler of the pub during the 1880s and 1890s or another member of his family. He was later (circa 1899) listed as a lodging-house keeper at the corner of Holme Church Lane.
Not a pub, but a coffee tavern, which opened in the Saturday Market in 1878. “Tea, coffee, cocoa, loaf & cheese, hot peas – all at 2d each” were advertised in the 19th Century almanacs. In a bid to encourage temperance the church supported coffee taverns and the Market Cross Tavern was the first of Beverley’s two known temperance taverns (See also the British Workman), and by 1889 they were both part of the Beverley Coffee Tavern Ltd.
In the first part of the 20th Century Mrs W.H. Rutherford took charge of the coffee tavern and it was to become known locally as Rutherford’s Cafe. The photograph shown here of 1904 shows the building looking remarkably like a pub. A coin known as a refreshment token also exists for the Market Cross Tavern.
Norwood. See the Drovers Arms.
Saturday Market. See the Kings Head.
Molescroft. See the Molescroft Inn.
The pub is now greatly enlarged and has encompassed former dwellings to its north and is now a popular place to eat as well as continuing its duties as a local, which it has probably performed for around 260 years.
Select victuallers: - 1823-40 Francis Johnson; 1855 William Hardbattle; 1858-64 John Ketten Hardbattle; 1872 Mrs Sarah Hardbattle; 1879 Frank Parker; 1881-82 George Willows; 1887-1905 James Hewitt; 1915-21 Peter Hunsley; 1929 Mrs Elizabeth Taylor; 1937-39 William L Gibson; 1943-67 E Gallagher; 1987 Peter Hampton.
Molescroft Road. Also known as the Marquis of Wellington, the Battle of Trafalgar and the Grapes.
Although not strictly in Beverley I have included the Molescroft as most people regard it is. A licensed house later called the Marquis of Wellington (simply the Wellington in 1823) was recorded in Molescroft from at least 1754 (VCH page 284). As an alehouse it served the hamlet of Molescroft, which had only 124 inhabitants in 1840 and It appears to have been re-named the Battle of Trafalgar (simply the Trafalgar in some directories) in the early 19th Century in recognition of Nelson’s victory over Napoleon in 1805. Known colloquially as the Molescroft Inn it began to be officially listed as such in the trade directories of the 1870s.
It was also listed as the Grapes for a time in some trade directories; this was a name given to many pubs with the sign of the grapes hanging from their signboard. In actual fact it probably retained its original name throughout. The Census of 1881 recorded the new victualler of the pub, who had just arrived from Lincolnshire; George Willows innkeeper aged 40, his wife, three sons and a general servant were noted at the inn. The photograph here shows the pub in 1926.
During alterations in the early 1980s a small inglenook fireplace was discovered behind a cupboard, sadly the alterations meant the loss of some smaller rooms to create one large “L” shaped room.
Among the finds are roof timbers hewn roughly out of whole tree trunks, in what is thought to be the only roof of its kind in the town. Conservation experts and pub bosses were stunned by the finds, which came to light through plans to alter and extend the building. The pub in the shadow of Beverley Minster is an important Listed Building and planning chiefs insisted on an investigation of the site, parts of which have not been used for years, before they granted consent. A team of experts from the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments was called in and has been monitoring the finds. Now the pub’s owners are working with conservationists to preserve the historic features as part of their plans to convert the building into a luxury hotel.
They believe the building will become a major tourist attraction, and hope to create a museum as part of their scheme. Mr Roland Craft, Managing Director of Viking International, which owns the pub, said the wealth of history unearthed on the site had amazed even the top national experts; “Everybody was overwhelmed. The Royal Commission do not come up to Beverley very often, but they put a team in to investigate the whole site,” said Mr Craft. “We have had people in to look at it who just don’t believe what is here.” Among the experts who have examined the finds is Mr Rod Mackey, local representative for the Council for British Archaeology. He said the finds were an exciting discovery; “I have tried to analyse what I could see, and as far as I can make out the building is an 18th Century frontage which has been clad onto what appear to be two timber-framed buildings that span the passage, which was a medieval street. I think people realised that there would be timber-framed buildings behind the 18th Century frontage but what is surprising is the extent to which it has survived. It has rotted off at ground level but above that everything else is still there.”
Needless to say the Monks Walk has been a Grade II Star listed building since the 1950s (DoE serial No.10/89/50). A fire closed the Monks Walk from late 2000 until its welcome reopening in April 2001 but thankfully no serious damage was done. The second photograph here shows the scene in the 1950s and the link below puts the Monks Walk in context with the other pub in the street.
Select victuallers: - 1802 John Mair; 1814/15 Dorothy Mair; 1823 John Stockdale; 1826-31 William Mair; 1834-40 Edward Mair; 1846-55 Thomas Robinson; 1858-59 Thomas Tindall; 1864-69 William Duffill; 1870 T Richardson; 1872 Mrs Jane Richardson; 1877 H Barnes; 1879 Robert William Batty; 1882 Leonard T Graham; 1887-1916 Robert Blizzard; 1921 Mrs Mary Blizzard; 1929 Thomas Jobson; 1937-39 Harold Staveley; 1987 Gary Walton.
Highgate. Also known as the George, the George & Dragon and the Old George & Dragon.
The “George in Highgate” was mentioned in 1686 according to the Victoria County History for Beverley, however an earlier reference is to be found in a document dated 7th July 1658, which recorded a “Quitclaim: Richard Johnson of Bishop Burton gent’ to Hugh Bethell jnr’ of Ryse esq. … Messuage called the George in High Street alias the Londoner Street and a close (Lobley Lane to the North) in Beverley” (DDGE/3/58).
John Mair, an innholder and probably the John Mair listed as a brewer in Wilbert Lane, married Elizabeth Story in 1802. He was also known to have been brewing at the George & Dragon Highgate. Other members of the Mair family were also brewers but it is not clear if the George & Dragon, Highgate contained a brewery or was their residential address. The Census of 1851 recorded Thomas Robinson aged 42, his wife, one son, one daughter, a female house servant and a labourer present at the George & Dragon.
There were additions to the George & Dragon in January 1895 for the owners Chas. Darley & Co of Thorne (BOBE/6, 1895-1). George and Dragon Yard is still in existence today to the rear of the pub although its main entrance is in Eastgate. The entrance from Highgate may have been known as Blizzard’s Passage as it was recorded in the late 19th Century at the time when the victualler of the George & Dragon was Robert Blizzard, who was there from 1887 until at least 1916. The top photograph here shows the Monks Walk as the George & Dragon around 1905.
Although at first glance the property appears to be of the early 19th Century it has been re-fronted during the 18th Century and medieval buildings are evident on both sides of the passage as well as stonework details dated 1671. In 1995 major investigations took place on the site and the following are extracts from a report featured in the Hull Daily Mail of 13th May 1995: -
“A hidden treasure-trove of history has been discovered during work on a pub. Layers of plaster have been stripped away at the Monks Walk in Beverley to reveal a series of medieval cottages within the building. Roof and wall timbers dating back as early as 1420 have been uncovered and evidence of the medieval craftsmen’s handiwork can clearly be seen.
Select victuallers: - 1867-72 Wm Beautiman; 1879-82 Henry Hurd; 1889 Thomas Hurd; 1892-1916 Horatio Thomas Holmes; 1915-30 Dunkley Rance; 1922 Albert Border; 1937 William Scott; 1939 George Herbert Sheperdson; 1943 F M Archer; 1955 H Gillyon; 1965 Cyril Dean; 1967 A Kerrison; 1987 Mary Wardale.
A moulder was/is someone employed to make castings or moulds in a foundry and much of the regular trade in the Moulders Arms may well have been provided by the nearby Crosskill’s Foundries in Eastgate and Mill Lane.
The Royal Commission on Historical Monuments survey suggested the Moulders building to be post-1860 however judging from evidence within the structure of the building and comparison of the 1852 and 1890 Ordnance Survey plans, it would seem probable that the building includes part of an earlier adjoining building. John Wood’s plan of Beverley in 1828 appears to show a building on the same site. The Census of 1881 recorded Henry Hurd as beer seller and grocer aged 66 with his wife, two sons, one granddaughter and his brother James a bill-poster at the premises. By 1888 his son Thomas had taken over.
The Moulder’s Arms has undergone a series of internal alterations and refurbishments that began as early as 1902 (BOBE/6, 1902-23 for owner George Pape) but still provides a friendly atmosphere and has many interesting photographs, illustrations and bric-a-brac making it well worth a visit. The photograph here shows the Moulders in the 1940s or 50s and the link below reveals a plan of the area during the 19th Century.
It closed on the 18th December 1908 and the licence was transferred to newly built premises in Holme Church Lane, called the Grovehill Hotel that opened the next day. Confusingly the Nag’s Head had been referred to as the Grovehill Tavern in some earlier directories, another example of a colloquial name being confused with the actual name. The photograph above is from c.1905 and the link below reveals a map showing the location of the pub.
Select victuallers: - 1806 William Harrison; 1823-34 Henry Harrison; 1840-46 William Harrison; 1848-67 George Porter; 1869-72 William Lundie; 1874-92 Thomas Harrison; 1897-1907 Henry Millett.
Grovehill. Also known as the Grovehill Tavern.
In a survey of 1806 showing occupiers of land within the estate of Beverley Corporation Mr H. Harrison was listed paying rent for “ground and dock, near the lock”, for which he paid 6 shillings a year (BCIV/4/3). Henry Harrison was an early victualler at the pub, one of many simply known as “by the sign of the board”, later becoming known as the Nag’s Head. When a pub was noted “by the sign of the board “ this referred to the sign or board displayed at the front of a pub that often contained a pictorial representation of the name of the pub. Innkeepers had been compelled by law to show a sign of some kind since the days of Richard II as not all of the patrons of inns and alehouses were literate so the simple signs were an easy way of telling the public that this was an alehouse or inn and suggesting its name. Some were carved representations or sculptures and others were paintings. The pictorial and carved signs were of course open to interpretation and may account for the slight variations in the references to pub names in trade directories for example where the Swan may be read as the White Swan if it was painted white, the Red Lion may simply have become the Lion or the simple Bell becomes the Ye Olde Blue Bell etc, etc. It is also likely that an inn that had yet to be named was simply referred to as the sign of the board until its name had become known and the plain board was painted-up.
Some victuallers of the Nag’s Head also had the job of ferry-man and this would no doubt have been due to the close proximity of the old Grovehill Ferry. It was common for an inn to be at the site of a ferry and this was often the house of the ferryman and his family. Other victuallers at the pub had trades associated with the area e.g. a ships carpenter (1889) and even a ship owner (George Porter -1858/9). A document dated 19th November 1828 recorded “Particulars of Sale: … Public house, shipyard, blacksmith’s shop, three houses and three closes at Grovehill” (DDCV/15/213).
The Nag’s Head was situated opposite Cochrane’s Shipyard and was almost the last building at the east end of Grovehill Road.
It is likely that Armstrong was writing from 1885 to 1917, this would suggest the New Found Out was open for business circa 1855. No beer-houses can be found in the nearest available directories to that date but this doesn’t mean there wasn’t a beer-house on the site. It was common for beer-houses to come and go within a matter of years and never be entered in the directories. However, it’s listed here for the sake of completion and in the absence of any corroborating evidence – just in case I find some.
Hengate. See the White Horse.
Another remembrance from the alleged journals of George Armstrong in which he wrote: - “New Found Out was a beer-house at the south east corner of Highgate (this was 30 years ago)”.