Lairgate. See Windmill.
Cattle Market. See Drovers Arms.
Cherry Tree Lane.
Robert Gibson was listed at a beer-house in Cherry Tree Lane in White’s trade directory of 1867 and was still listed in a trade directory of 1872. In 1874 William Glossop (of Glossop’s Brewery) entered plans for the construction of “two cottages and a tavern” (BOBE/6/23- 1874) in Cherry Tree Lane and this may have been the date of the construction or rebuilding of a beer-house known as Cherry Tree House or Tavern. (Architect Robert Clamp of No.20 Scale Lane Hull drew the plans). The floor plan at this time can bee seen by clicking the link below, and the accompanying front elevation of the building is shown on the right - both have been re-drawn from the originals.
William Blakeston, the victualler in 1891, was also listed as a grocer in Grovehill Road from 1881 until 1889. This and evidence from the 1881 Census would suggest a corner plot, however the 1874 plans show the new tavern was to have been built on the south west side of Cherry Tree Lane as a detached building near the railway lines. It is possible that the stores and the tavern were separate buildings, both simply using a popular colloquial name. Further detailed research is required although it is possible that the building at the corner of Cherry Tree Lane was an early beer-house and that a later one existed within Cherry Tree Lane itself.
“Cherry Tree House” was still listed as a beer-house in Ward’s Almanac of 1893, however it had also been listed several times as an off-licence and is likely to have been both.
The “Cherry Tree Stores” were licensed as an off-licence from c.1910 until 1953 according to the register of licenses in Beverley Archives where they were listed as “a house known as the ‘Stores’ at the north east corner of the Malt Kiln in Cherry Tree Lane”.
Select victuallers: - 1867-72 Robert Gibson; 1881-91 William Blakeston; 1892-99 Thomas Altham Jackson (beer retailer & grocer); 1905-12 A E Hardy (off licence); 1915 A E Hardy junior.
See Foresters Arms.
Norwood. Also previously known as the Furlong & Firkin, the Valiant Soldier and the Holderness Tavern.
The Corner House opened for business late in 1999 and had previously been re-named the Furlong & Firkin in 1996. These modern and possibly ill-advised name changes required alterations to what was one of Beverley’s finest old pubs, and despite its Grade II listed building status (DoE serial No.9/284/87). Its listed building description suggests that it was constructed as early as the 18th Century and may possibly have had even older origins.
Records of rentals paid to a John Courtenay during the period 1796-1806 included rent paid for the ‘The Valiant Soldier’ in Norwood, according to documents in the Hull University Archives (ref. DX/60/6), and another record regarding the property, of 21st August 1811 noted: -
“… an agreement for the purchase from Mr Courtney by Mr Lockwood, of the house called ‘the Valiant Soldier’ at Norwood corner for £450, and the agreement made with John Botterill, the tenant thereof, for pulling down part of the house. The surveyors to view the property and direct the taking down of part of the house necessary for widening the road from Walkergate and Hengate into Norwood, and the building up of the walls against the part of the house remaining”.
Walkergate had previously been a long winding lane with a narrow opening into Norwood at the junction with Hengate. It is obvious that the narrow entry was causing a problem for carts and carriages and the documents suggest that it was slightly widened around this date. Another document of 4th September 1811 recorded: -
“So much of ‘The Valiant Soldier’ at Norwood Corner as is not required for the widening the street to be sold to Mr Beverley and Mr Duesbury for £250. Being the value assessed according to an estimate made by John Prattman, joiner and Thomas Dalton, bricklayer, Beverley – and undertaking to build up the ‘Gavel’ end next the ground where part of the premises was taken for widening the street”.
Later, in the 20th Century the junction was widened further due to the increased levels of traffic in modern Beverley in an attempt to ease the traffic in the centre of the town. The Hull Advertiser ran a notice regarding the sale of the pub during August 1839 in which it was noted “Beverley Public House for sale, The Holderness Tavern formerly the Valiant Soldier - victualler Daniel Boyes”. This gives a rough date for the re-naming of the pub, which soon became known as the Valiant Soldier once more.
The Census of 1851 recorded the splendidly named victualler Phineas Musgrave aged 44, his wife, three daughters, three sons, a niece, one female house servant, a nephew, a brother in law and a brother present on the evening of the Census. By the 1881 Census the equally large family of John Griffin were resident; with him were his wife, three sons and three daughters.
Internally the Valiant Soldier has been altered regularly from 1927 (BOBE/6, 1927-18 – for Linsley & Co of Hull). Writing in 1939, Rambler, an old-time Scribe, noted “The old sign of the Valiant Soldier, well portrayed, was removed some 30 or 40 years ago [circa 1900]. This, it is pleasing to note, has to some extent been replaced by an illuminated lantern sign, on either side of which is depicted a warrior mounted on a prancing steed. This recent revival is commendable, at night, when the light displays the sign to advantage, the idea proves very effective.” Sadly that internally illuminated sign is now also gone and the pub has no sign at all other than a large letter C. Despite having been renamed several times in recent years it continues to receive local awards and the continued approval of its regulars.
Select victuallers: - 1811 John Botterill; 1814 William Ackrill; 1823 John Botterill; 1826-28 Thomas Dunn; 1832-34 William Heward; 1839-40 Daniel Boyes; 1846 William Hutton (Although recorded in the directory in 1846 Mr Hutton died in 1845 - Hull Advertiser 5.9.1845); 1848-72 Phineas Musgrave; 1877 C Kitchin; 1879-81 John C Griffin; 1881-82 Phineas Musgrave; 1887-89 Susannah Gardham; 1892-97 Edwin Ellis; 1899 Caleb Hornsey; 1905 Edwin James Andrews; 1915-16 William Alfred Cawkill; 1921 Herbert Gladstone Lowther; 1929 Laurids Madson Lauridson; 1937-39 W P Hutchinson; 1943 William Mann; 1955-75 F J Simons; 1987 Ronald Thewlis.
A fine building of the mid-1760s according to the Pevsner guide, which enjoys Grade II Star listed building status (DoE serial No.9/148/50) and is situated on the west side of Lairgate opposite Old Waste, with Cross Keys Yard to its south. The York Courant newspaper (some copies are held by the Hull Local Studies Library) ran an advertisement in November 1770 that read: -
“TO BE SOLD - Almost Opposite the Market Cross in Beverley; LOT 2; A well built brick and tyled Malt Kiln, with stables for six horses, stable yard, Dog kennel and yard; and the reversion in Fee of a well accustomed Inn or Public House, known by the sign of the Cross Keys, expectant upon the death of a person aged 70, with the stabling and garth belonging thereto. The whole being freehold and convenient situate for the market. Inquire Mr Bowman, the owner”.
The 1791 trade directory recorded that Beverley coaches ran from Hull to “Mr John Smith’s Cross Keys Inn, Back Street” (an earlier name for Lairgate). Documents in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives show that the Cross Keys, Lairgate was sold for £1000 in October 1809, to John Simpson of Beverley innholder, by Richard Simpson innkeeper, of Leconfield (DDBC/31/903). It was again advertised to-let in the Hull Advertiser of 17th October 1823 and for sale in the Hull Advertiser of 25th May 1832.
In the Census of 1851 George Green aged 51, his wife, nephew (a watchmaker), two female house servants, a “boots” and a visitor were all present at the Cross Keys. The Beverley Guardian ran an auction notice in 1889 that gives a clear impression of the inn at that time. A commercial room, a bar, a smoke room and the usual domestic quarters occupied the ground floor, with cellars below. A sitting or dining room, four bedrooms and (a very modern amenity) a bathroom were on the first floor, with another seven bedrooms, the servants bedroom and a box room on the floor above.
Outside there was stabling for 20 horses and the owner rented adjoining accommodation for another 30. The interior still retains fine details worthy of its Grade II Star listing including an excellent early 18th Century staircase.
Select victuallers: - 1770 Mr Bowman; 1784 William Sissison; 1791 John Smith; 1809-15 John Simpson; 1823 William Clayton; 1826 Peter Killin; 1828-31 William Sissons; 1834-59 George Green; 1864-72 George Ward; 1877-79 Frederick Ward; 1882-89 Henry Newlove; 1892 C Keighley; 1897 Anna Margaret Keighley; 1899-1905 William Whitehead; 1912-16 Henry Millett; 1921 Isabella J. Millett; 1929 James Alfred Sharpley; 1937 Stanley Walker; 1939 W Simms; 1955 Roy Francis; 1967 Stanley W Massey; 1975 H Brown; 1987 Dennis Armstrong.
Ladygate. Also known as the Board / Prince’s Feathers.
The Custom House Vaults pub was first recorded in the trade directories simply as the Board, circa 1828, and was soon renamed the Prince’s Feathers. As another beer-house known as the Prince of Wales had opened in Eastgate, this property appears to have been re-named the Custom House Vaults circa 1834 to avoid any confusion. 'By the sign of the board' was a phrase used to describe 'new' pubs in the late 18th and early 19th Century, and denoted a pub that as yet was un-named but would generally be know by the sign that was shown on its inn-sign or board outside the pub.
In 1834 Henry Johnson had begun brewing at his Ladygate Brewery and the Custom House Vaults was the “tap” of the brewery and maltings complex to which it was attached. It was noted on a plan of 1868 as the “Retail Vaults Shop” of the Ladygate Brewery’s Maltings (Mr. H Johnson’s property).
Robert Attwood Litchfield owned the Custom House Vaults, the Albany Hotel and the Litchfield Hotel from circa 1899. He also had the hairdresser’s premises at No.32 Toll Gavel, next to his Litchfield Hotel as well as running the Oberon Hotel in Queen Street Hull in the 1890s.
In 1885 Johnson’s carried out alterations to the spirit vaults and it is likely that at that time the shop took on the appearance it has today (BOBE/6, 1885-152) and the plan can be viewed by clicking on the link below. It was made redundant as a fully licensed (six-day) pub in 1910 when compensation of £835 was paid to the owner R. A Litchfield, and finally closed on 3 August 1910. The pub building and many of the other brewery buildings also survive; the pub building is situated at the corner of Sow Hill and Ladygate and is a Grade II listed building (BOBE/6, 1885-152) and dates from the 18th Century originally.
Locals will remember that latterly it was used as a Red-Cross shop, although it is shown to the left of this 1940s photograph as the premises of a photographer. Note also - the Globe Inn on the right (see later)
Selected possible victuallers: - 1828/29 James Wardell; 1831-34 William Adamson; 1840 Robert Clark; 1846 Cristopher Wilson; 1848-51 William Lovell; 1858-64 Samuel Smelt; 1867 Robert Smelt; 1887 Frances Johnson; 1889 Johnson & Co; 1893-97 John Agate; 1899-1910Robert Attwood Litchfield.
The present Dog & Duck Inn situated at the south-west corner of Dog & Duck Lane is a rebuilt structure, which has replaced a much older inn. The present new Dog & Duck was built for John Smith’s Brewery in the summer of 1929 (BOBE/6, 1929-9a “New public house”).
Documents in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives regarding land transactions in Dog & Duck Lane dated 1822/23 (DDBC/31/529 onwards) refer to Dog & Duck Lane as “alias Burden Midding Lane” and “now called Dog & Duck Lane”. This shows how the name of the lane had gradually changed to that of the inn that stood at its corner, obviously well established by that date.
In 1745 Robert Burton, innholder of the Fox in the Dings leased a “parcel of ground used as a common midden place at the south east end of Ladygate”. This was possibly the date the original Dog & Duck was built, however the Victoria County History states that Dog & Duck Lane had been known as such since 1799 (page 171).
The Census of 1851 recorded William Green aged 60, his wife, two sons (one a painter & gilder), an ostler and two female house servants present on the evening of the survey; this shows the inn must have had stabling at that date, as an ostler was someone who took care of horses at an inn.
The Dog & Duck’s inn sign at one time reputedly, showed a duck swimming with a dog looking enviously on and with the duck in the dog’s mouth on the reverse side, according to George Dickinson, writing in the Beverley Advertiser. The sport of ‘Dog & Duck’ was a cruel game which involved setting dogs on a duck with tied wings, usually in a river or pond, and was more likely to be found at a pub near a village pond or a local stream, e.g. the Dog & Duck at Walkington. The sport was one of many forms of gambling to be found at inns and taverns during the 18th Century. This may be seen as another indication of the first pub’s age as a watercourse had previously run at the rear of the inn in Walkergate.
The link, below left, reveals an early 20th Century advert for the Dog & Duck, and the picture to the right showing one of Beverley's old fish & chip shops als gives a glimpse of the original frontage of the Dog & Duck on the left of the picture, before it was rebuilt in 1929.
Select victuallers: - 1784-91 Edward Hobson; 1806 Thomas Hobson; 1814/15 Richard Hopper; 1823-29 George Sheffield; 1831 Hugh Hanes; 1834-55 William Green; 1858-64 John Henry Larcum; 1867-79 Thomas Green; 1882-97 Mrs Sarah Green; 1899-1905 Charles Lord; 1915-16 Mrs Agnes Andrews; 1921-29 Horatio Thomas Holmes; 1937-55 Fred Middleton; 1965-67 Harry Webster; 1975-87 David E Mc Cullen.
Corporation Road. Also known as the Cattle Market Hotel and Market Hotel.
There were no buildings shown on the site of the Drover’s Arms on the 1852 Ordnance Survey plan of Beverley, however there appears to have been two Cattle Market Inns at the end of the 19th Century, and it is extremely difficult to distinguish one from the other in the trade directories. There is confusion in the directories and maps of the area, between Norwood Walk, Norwood Dale etc., for example the 1910 Ordnance Survey Plan showed Cattle Market Lane as Norwood Walk, and the Drovers/Cattle Market can be interpreted as having been situated at the bottom of Norwood Dale. In actual fact it was in the next lane, known colloquially as Cattle Market Lane. Cattle Market Lane appears to have been first mentioned in the 1881 Census and kept this name until 1937 when it became Corporation Road (David Sherwood).
The link, below left, shows a re-drawn section of the 1890 Ordnance Survey plan of the area, which shows the pubs in the vicinity of the Drovers Arms. The pub building survived up until recent years was situated opposite the gates of the cattle market and latterly known as the Drovers Arms. It closed in 1999 lay derelict and awaiting demolition for several years. A drover was/is someone who drives cattle to market and this pub was originally called the Cattle Market which sort of fits I guess.
Select victuallers: - 1879-87 Thomas Ralph Botterill; 1858-64 Henry Wilkinson; 1897-99 Susannah Todd (Norwood Dale); 1892-93 Thomas Ralph Musgrave; 1867 Joseph Ramshaw; 1872 James Steel; 1929-55 Walter Gray; 1877 T White (Market Hotel); 1889 Mrs Susannah Gardham; 1894 J Lawson; 1965-67 Alan Fox; 1915-16 Charles William Brown (Market Hotel); 1905 John Cole; 1912 William W Acred (Market Hotel ); 1926 Frank Gray; 1975 B Thorley; 1987 Robert Colgrave.
A plan of Beverley made by William burrow in 1747 shows a small parcel of land on the south-west side of Keldgate in the ownership of a Mr. Meek. There was a Robert Meek who was listed as an innkeeper in the 1784 trade directory, however the first confirmed victualler of the Duke of York was William Akester - a shoemaker by trade, who was recorded in a trade directory of 1814/15. William Akester was shown to have occupied land owned by the council on a plan of 1806 within “Beverley Parks”. In total it was just over four acres, for which he paid 15 shillings a year in rent. Records in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives show that in 1815 he leased a “close on the north side of Shepherd Lane in Beverley Parks”, and was listed in that document as an innkeeper (DDBC/16/387). Shepherd Lane ran off the east side of what is now Queensgate and to the south of Acacia House in Keldgate.
George Armstrong allegedly remembered “the Duke of York was pulled down about 1906” and the land used for the enlargement of James Taylor’s house. James Taylor was listed at Acacia House Keldgate in a 1905 trade directory and the building survives today at the south-east side of Keldgate almost at the junction with Queensgate. It appears to have had an addition to its original structure on its east side and this is likely to have been the site of the Duke of York.
Of Acacia House, George Armstrong also allegedly recalled “…This house (Acacia) was built in 1837 by William Farrah grandfather of the present Samuel Farrah. Miss Farrah married a man of the name Westerby and she left land at her death to support the free dwellings at the end of Keldgate next to Queensgate Road. The pump opposite Acacia House is still known to some as Fox’s Pump”. Make of this what you will, although Mr Armstrong’s recollections are as yet without provenance there is no doubt that the Duke of York existed.
Select victuallers: - 1814-31 William Akester; 1834 Richard Skinner.
Norwood. Also known the Ox.
The Durham Ox was one of many pubs to have taken its name from an almost legendary gigantic Ox bred in Durham circa 1800. In 1881 Francis Wilson aged 34 was recorded as a beer-house keeper and bricklayer at the Durham Ox with his wife and son.
The present building appears relatively modern but beneath its exterior is a much older building possibly of the 18th Century. It is in effect all that remains of a long terrace fronting Norwood that was shown on the 1853 Ordnance Survey plan as Norwood Walk (see map link within Drover's Arms above). The line of its roof, which shows two different levels on either side of the chimney stack, suggests it had originally been a single property within the terrace and expanded at some date. It was scheduled for redundancy as a beer-house in 1909 but the decision was not upheld and it carried on trading. Following the demolition of the three houses to its west during the development of Corporation Road in 1937 it became a corner property, which it remains today with some late 20th Century alterations. The c.1905 photograph here shows the Durham Ox in its original form as part of a short terrace and prior to the demolition that left it as a corner property. Note also the Gate Inn, slightly further along the block.
Select victuallers: - 1831-40 Richard Roxby; 1846 Elizabeth Roxby; 1848-51 Robert Moore; 1855 Caroline Johnson; 1864-72 John Raspin; 1874-77 R Bruce; 1881-89 Francis Wilson; 1892-97 William Wilkin; 1899 Jeremiah Carr; 1905-06 T. Woodmansey; 1908 George West; 1909 Annie Hewson; 1913 F Carter; 1915 William Henry Driffield; 1921 George William Coates; 1925-27 Florence Coates; 1929-30 Arthur Beal; 1936-39 Harry Soames; 1943 C Pinder; 1955 E Ambler; 1965-75 J L Parker; 1987 Dennis Hall.