In May 1862 the Beverley Guardian recorded that “a private in the Militia was charged with creating a disturbance at the Garibaldi Inn in Flemingate”. Further references to this beer-house are few and it never appeared by name in the known trade directories.
An article in the Beverley Guardian in 1863 regarding the celebrations for the marriage of the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra of Denmark reported on the flags etc. that were hung from every shop in the town - “Some of them bearing rather curious inscriptions, as an instance of which we might mention are belonging to a tannery, suspended from the Garibaldi Inn, Fleming-gate upon which was inscribed, ‘Nothing like leather’.” The 1871 Census reveals that Mary Marson was listed as a 59 years old beer-house keeper in Flemingate in the correct location and would appear to confidently confirm the pub’s existence.
An article in the Hull Times newspaper of 8th October 1904 also reported that the Hull artist John Widdas had painted the inn sign of the Old Garibaldi Inn, Beverley and writing of Beverley’s inn signs in 1939, The Rambler wrote “The Garibaldi, which was situate just over the railway crossing, in Flemingate, on the right-hand proceeding in the direction of Beckside and was a well-known licensed house in the seventies and eighties”.
George Armstrong thought it was on the other side of Flemingate, and allegedly noted in his diaries: - “Garibaldi beer house on south side of old Coup-en-Kell - J Roxby tenant”. Old Coup en Kell was a reference to Copenkeld Lane, which ran off the north side of Flemingate near the railway lines. This would have made the pub either No.26 or 28 Flemingate both now sadly demolished.
The picture seen here may show the former Garibaldi Inn however, as all of the properties were still intact at the time of the photograph (c.1905) - so probably on the left, depending on who was correct.
Garibaldi was probably one of England’s first media celebrities who visited England in 1864, causing quite a stir wherever he spoke. It is almost certain that this pub was named in his honour, possibly after a visit to Beverley. It is likely however that the beer-house was in existence prior to his visit.
Select victuallers: - 1858-59 William Morrell; 1864 Mark Bell; 1867 William Marson; 1871-77 Mary Marson.
The Gate Inn was another beer-house in Norwood that proved difficult to place “on the ground” when doing my initial research. The inn sign that hung outside the pub was described by The Rambler in a 1939 article as “The Gate, four-barred, in Norwood, was opposite the present grounds of the Girls High School, and was noticeable for the following doggerel lines thereon: - This Gate hangs well and hinders none, Refresh and pay and travel on”.
The Census of 1881 recorded long-term (at least fourty years) victualler William Harper as a beer-house keeper and cowkeeper aged 77 with his daughter (housekeeper), one son in law and a grandson resident at the Gate. The link below opens a plan of the area showing the Gate Inn in the 1850s; note that at the rear of the inn is a path that leads from the arched tunnel through the pub, and gives access to malt-kilns marked on the map. Does this suggest there was a brewery at The Gate Inn?
The Beverley licensing sessions considered the licenses of the Gate Inn and the Durham Ox, both in Norwood, in 1909 and both were allowed to remain open. Moors’ & Robson’s brewery immediately carried out improvements to the facilities including the construction of a urinal and new privies (BOBE/6/1909-19). The Gate was finally made redundant in 1914 when £500 compensation was paid to the owners Moors’ & Robson’s Ltd of Hull.
The Gate was a beer-house recorded at the former No.56 Norwood, part of the terrace now almost totally demolished originally known as Norwood Walk. The only remnant of Norwood Walk is the Durham Ox at No.48 and the Gate was to its east. A 1965 photograph shows the former Gate as the largest building in the block and the 1905 photograph seen here reveals the location of the pub and shows its hanging sign of a barred gate. Sadly I only found the photograph some years after completing the original book.
The remainder of the site of Norwood Walk is a now marked by a line of modern flats although the First World War Roll of Honour for the men of Norwood Walk has been re-sited at the eastern end of the new buildings [it was there in 2000 – not sure if it is now].
Select victuallers: - 1848-89 William Harper; 1894-95 James Wheatley; 1892-93 John Sheilds; 1831 William Topping; 1834 James Topping; 1840 James Dolpin; 1846 John Botham; 1908-10 Samuel Chapman; 1899 William Acred; 1912 E H Beckett; 1914 George Bruce.
Highgate. See the Monks Walk.
North Bar Within. See the Beaver.
Highgate. See the Monks Walk.
The updated edition of the Pevsner guide describes the Globe Inn as “of the 17th / 18th Century, demolished 1960s”. A short reference to such an important building, but I suppose it’s hard to be excited about something you can’t see and had no relationship with during your life.
One of the earliest recorded victuallers at the Globe Inn was Daniel Newton at the sign of the Globe in 1772, who was recorded in an auction notice in the York Courant newspaper of 11th August 1772. A bundle of deeds relating to the Globe Inn in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives note that “a lease for £400 was granted in January 1777 from Ann Nelson spinster, of Beverley to William Artley late of Hornsea now of Beverley innholder”. The lease was for “The Globe Inn with garth, garden, stables and cockpit in Ladygate” (DDBC/15/257). Ann Nelson could have been the widow of David Newton and her surname misread in the deeds.
Globe Inn Yard was situated behind the pub (entered through an arch from Ladygate - see c.1910 photograph to the right) and at one time contained many small houses. The yard was owned by the landlord and was used for the Beverley Pig Market during the middle of the 19th Century, as well as a the cockpit where locals would no doubt have gambled on the cock-fights. Visiting shows and touring groups of players including Bostock & Wombwell’s Circus stabled many animals in the Globe Inn Yard on their visits to Beverley. John Wood’s plan of Beverley in 1828 showed land to the rear of the Globe belonging to Mr Larcum whose family held the inn circa 1826-1840.
The Census of 1851 recorded Francis Dale aged 54, his wife, three daughters, one son, a waiter, a female house servant and a lodger at the inn. In the Hull Advertiser of 24th March 1854 the Globe was noted for sale:
“All that well accustomed and old established inn site; the brewhouse &c stables and every requisite for conducting a large business late in the occupation of Mr. Francis Dales. Also a piece of ground used for the Beverley Pig market immediately adjoining to and laid open with the yard of the inn…”.
The Census of 1881 listed Thomas Thirsk as licensed victualler aged 25 with his wife of 24, a son, daughter and two female domestic servants at the inn. John Smith’s Brewery carried out major improvements to the Globe Inn during 1925 to the designs of Bertram Wilson a Tadcaster surveyor and architect (BOBE/6, 1925-5). The plans show that although the Globe property covered a large area, the actual drinking areas covered only a small part of the site located to the left of the arched entrance into Globe Yard. The “Market Rooms” covered a larger area and were presumably where pigs and other livestock were bought and sold.
Sadly the pub was closed in 1963 and demolished in 1968 to create a road link between Sow Hill and Walkergate; New housing in Globe Court and Globe Mews off Sow Hill Road now occupies the site. The demolition of the Globe although seen as unavoidable at the time, was a very sad loss for Beverley’s built heritage not to mention its pub architecture. A fortunate survivor from the demolition was a glazed door, which is preserved in the kitchen of a Keldgate house. The link below reveals a plan of the extensive pub buildings.
Select victuallers: - 1772 David Newton; 1777-1815 William Artley; 1823 Alice Wilson; 1826-34 Thomas Larcum; 1840 Alice Larcum; 1846-55 Francis Dales; 1858-59 John Smith; 1864 Richard Sugden; 1867-70 George Smelt; 1872-79 Thomas W Dunning; 1881-89 Thomas James Thirsk; 1892 Mrs A Ombler; 1897-1921 David Collinson; 1929-56 James Cass.
Brewer Robert Stephenson bought the Golden Ball pub and its brewery in Toll Gavel in 1797. The newly named Stephenson’s Golden Ball Brewery was situated behind the Golden Ball pub and was rebuilt to the designs of Beverley architect William Hawe (1822-1897); during the rebuilding works the main entrance was removed to Walkergate.
The 1851 Census recorded Thomas Clowes saddler and publican aged 29, his wife, a daughter, one female house servant and no less than 10 lodgers at the Golden Ball, which gives some idea of its size and the nature of its trade. The c.1905 photograph on the right shows the entrance too Golden Ball yard and the pub, on the centre-right, with a 'gallows' style pole still above the arch from where a ball once hung.
The pub had a new shop-front fitted in 1911 (BOBE/6, 1911-24) and was sold to the Hull Brewery Co Ltd along with the brewery in 1920. Even so, it was made redundant in February 1925 when the company received £1,350 in compensation. The brewery building survived until 1969 when it was demolished but the pub had been demolished after closure; latterly Woolworth’s shop occupied the site, which is now the location for Marks & Spencer.
Golden Ball Yard - also known as Golden Ball Passage, and colloquially as Woollie’s Passage has been in existence for at least 150 years, and its path still runs between Walkergate and Toll Gavel where the brewery once stood. Writing of Beverley’s signboards in 1939 The Rambler noted “The Golden Ball, an ancient house with centuries of history attached to it was closed through redundancy about 20 years ago. Its insignia was as one would expect, in the form of a gilded ball, accompanied in miniature by the three tuns. These are oblong-shaped casks used for storing wines and other liqueurs.” The use of the symbolic three tuns was similar to the carved bunch of grapes, often accompanying an inn sign to advertise that wines and spirits as well as ale, were available within.
The link, below left, will open a map of the area showing the location of The Golden Ball.
Select victuallers: - 1828/29 Edward Osgerby Junior; 1814/15 William Watson; 1784-91 Robert Thorp; 1877-99 Mrs Harriet Ramshaw; 1858-70 William Ramshaw; 1840-46 Benjamin Robson; 1848-51 Thomas Clowes; 1831-34 Thomas Clough; 1823 William Wadsworth; 1826 Edward Osgerby; 1855 John McConnell Robson; 1872 Samuel Ramshaw; 1905-16 Mrs Elizabeth Ramshaw; 1921 Mrs Mary Watts; 1924 Fred Hill.
Beckside. See the Fleece.
Molescroft. See the Molescroft Inn.
Market Place. Also known as the Green Dragon & Black Swan (?) and the Malt House.
A reference in the Hull University Archives (DDMM/2/127) recorded the Green Dragon in Lairgate in August 1745. This suggests that either there was already a pub in Lairgate named the Green Dragon or that the present Green Dragon may have originally had its entrance in Lairgate. It is possible that the former malt house at the rear was the original working end of the pub or even the pub itself. It was suggested by George Pinfold in his Inn Places of Beverley that “the pub records” dating from 1746 gave an older name for the Green Dragon as the Malt House although George sadly gave no references for his work. There was a malt house at the rear of the property, which could account for the reasoning behind the assumption, and there is evidence to suggest that the Green Dragon did face west and not east into the Market Place.
A later archives reference of September 1750 recorded the Green Dragon in Lare Gate [sic] being sold for £112 to John Tong innholder of Beverley (DDCV/15/127). Another even more confusing notice appeared in the York Courant of Tuesday December 25 1770: -
“TO BE LETT: And entered upon at Midsummer next, situate in Beverley. All that commodious and well accustomed Inn, known by the sign of the Green Dragon & Black Swan, in the centre of the Market Place, with a Brewery, stabling, a coach house, and all suitable building thereto. Also a Back Door commanding different streets and roads, with an outlet into the west wood. For further particulars apply to Michael Staveley, Grocer in Beverley aforesaid, the owner”. (sic)
This reference may suggest that the original Market Place side of the property was a grocer’s and may later have become part of the pub itself – possibly confirming that the Green Dragon originally fronted Lairgate.
The reference to the “Green Dragon & Black Swan” may have been an interpretation of a heraldic inn-sign at the pub, possibly incorporating the coat of arms of the original landowner that may have become abbreviated over the years to the “Green Dragon”.
The sign of the Green Dragon was described in another Rambler 1939 newspaper article: - “The Green Dragon has a sign suspended from fancy beaten ironwork. The painted character has vanished and likewise the customary cluster of grapes at the end has followed suit. At one time, this was a station for one or two of the Stagecoach lines. In recent years a swing-board sign of much less artistic pretension has been hung to signify the Green Dragon.”
Architectural historian David Neave writing for the revised Pevsner guide noted “the mock timber facade of the Green Dragon, No.51 [Saturday Market] disguises the earlier origins of the building, which has some residual timber-framing”. This is confirmed by its Grade II listed building description in which it is suggested to be “17th Century or earlier” (DoE serial No.9/339/69).
The Census of 1851 recorded Elizabeth Harrison a widow aged 58, two daughters a female house servant and a lodger all present at the inn on the evening of the Census. The Beverley Guardian ran an advertisement in 1858 for:
“German Piano Playing at the Green Dragon, (House cleared shortly before 12 o’clock. NB drinking in the Kitchen)”
Plans by architect Frank Clayton of Beverley, drawn in 1908 for wines & spirits merchants Muscroft & Co., showed the former “stores and ash-place” in Lairgate being converted to offices for the Green Dragon, which still exist in Lairgate (BOBE/6, 1908-20). It is clear that the Green Dragon holds many secrets and is undoubtedly an extremely old inn; it continues to enjoy good trade and is worth a visit if only to try and unravel its history for yourself.
Select victuallers: - 1750 John Tong. 1791Thomas Longbone; 1806-34 John Walker; 1840 James Watson; 1846-55 Elizabeth Harrison; 1858-70 William Douthwaite; 1872-79 Robert Skelton; 1882 John Sugdon; 1887-92 William Robert Watson; 1897-99 Mrs Mary Watson; 1905 S B Heaps; 1915-21 Muscroft & Co; 1929 Harry James Porter; 1937-55 Mrs B A Jordan 1987 Paul Thorp.
Flemingate. See Hodgson’s.
Holme Church Lane. Also known as the Grovehill Tavern.
The Grovehill pub, No.183 Holme Church Lane was built for Moor’s & Robsons’ brewery in 1907 and took its licence from the redundant Nag’s Head near the old Grovehill Ferry crossing. The Nag’s Head had also been listed, very confusingly, as the Grovehill Tavern in 1855 and one of the two names may have been a colloquial version that survived as the official name. The new pub opened 19 December 1908 - the Nag’s Head closing on the 18th December 1908 to maintain the conditions of the licence.
The large building built by G Pape & Sons at a cost of £1895 still dominates its surroundings in Grovehill Road, and is a good example of the confident if not over stylish, architecture of the Edwardian era. A large Bowling Green that stood at the rear of the building has now sadly gone but some fine details do remain from the original build. A dramatic stone entrance and some original opaque lettered glass windows to the bar and smoke room are amongst the most impressive.
Select victuallers: - 1915-16 William Whitehead; 1929-37 John William Whitehead; 1955-67 A E Roberts; 1987 Glen Blackwell.
Minster Yard South. See the Admiral Duncan.
Wednesday Market. See the Queen’s Head.
A typically large and expansive modern pub in the new Molescroft area, which opened in 1997.
Flemingate. Also known as the Grounds.
Fleming House was an early 19th Century villa that was latterly used as the recreation club of nearby tanners Hodgson’s Ltd. Planning approval for the conversion of the derelict house into the Grounds pub was given in December 1996 but work was not underway until August 1997. Although most welcomed the plans, particularly the immediate locals who had for many years to suffer the dangers of living next to a derelict building, an 87-name petition, long delays by the local councillors in granting approval for internal alterations, and planning consent dragged the process on and on.
Although a Grade II listed building it had been noted as one of Beverley’s worst eyesores and its condition had been the subject of local newspaper debates since the early 1990s when entrepreneur Danny Banks of Weba Leisure Ltd stepped in with plans which he promised would preserve its Georgian appearance.
It eventually opened in September 1997 and had allegedly cost approximately £500,000. Currently still enjoying measured success the Grounds was fittingly re-named Hodgson’s in spring 2000 and is a very pleasant addition to the still neglected Flemingate area.
Toll Gavel. Also known as the Sign of the Horns, the Blue Boar & Horns and the Blue Boar.
The York Courant newspaper of 20th September 1768 ran a notice for an auction “to be held at the house of Mr Davidson, the sign of the Horns in Beverley”. In March 1770 another notice mentioned “the Blue Boar in Beverley” and in June 1770 “the house of Mr Thomas Davidson, the sign of the Blue Boar & Horns in Beverley”. Landress Lane, just south of the pub used to be known as Horns Lane and was almost certainly an early reference to the Blue Boar & Horns whose property boundary ran almost its entire length.
The sign of the Blue Boar was often linked with coats of arms and has also had links with the Wars of the Roses whereas the Beverley references were all probably linked with hunting; hunting horns, the hunted Boar and the Holderness Hunt. The Blue Boar was also recorded as an excise office in 1823 and an article in the Hull Advertiser of 22nd May 1829 records the name change to the Holderness Inn. A slightly later advertisement dated 26th March 1830 in the Hull Advertiser recorded: -
“CAPITAL INN, at BEVERLEY, to be let. For a term of 7 – 10 years, may be entered upon immediately.That old-established and well accustomed inn, formerly know by the name of the Blue Boar, but now called the Holderness Hotel, situate in the most public part of Beverley; all the York, Hull and Scarborough coaches passing it daily, and very near the Market-Place, comprimising every accommodation, and having a spacious yard, with stabling for 60 horses.Upwards of £500 have lately been expended on the house, which is in excellent repair, and full of business, and well known as one of the best-accustomed houses at Fairs and Markets. Rent and Particulars:- Mr. Edward Wilson (premises)”. (sic)
In the Census of 1851 Hannah Wilson was resident at the inn aged 67 with two sons, one a druggist and one a grocer, four unmarried daughters and an ostler for the horses. In the 20th Century the horses were supplemented with motor cars and the Holderness Garage was situated at the rear of the pub. An advertisement from circa 1910 listed many other attractions of the pub including large dining rooms for luncheons & teas, stabling, billiards, petrol supply and servicing as well as being the headquarters of the East Riding Golf Club and the Imperial Yeomanry. The advert shown here is from 1855.
The hotel ceased to be listed in the trade directories after 1930 (last application for a licence was 1931) having been purchased by H Scofield & Co who added a new shop front on the ground floor in March 1931 (BOBE/6, 1931-9). Most of the unchanged upper storeys of the imposing building are still clearly visible today and the building was awarded Grade II listed building status in 1969 (DoE serial No.9/361/69). A map of Toll Gavel can be seen by clicking the link below, which shows the location of the Holderness Hotel.
Select victuallers: - 1828/29 Edward Wilson; 1768-70 Thomas Davidson; 1882-97 Elizabeth Anne Watson; 1864-79 Thomas Watson; 1814-26 William Richardson; 1831-40 Thomas Wilson; 1846-51 Hannah Wilson; 1855-59 John Charter; 1855 William Clark; 1861 William Dee; 1929-30 Miss Teresa Curling; 1915-16 Christopher May; 1899 Holderness Hotel; 1905 Charles Jarvis Naylor; 1921 James William Arthur Renton; 1925 Christian Henry Wm Smythe.
Norwood. See the Valiant Soldier.
Toll Gavel. See the Holderness Hotel.
A typically utilitarian post Second World War pub built circa 1954 that has been altered but nevertheless continues to serve its locals well. It can now be seen as a fair example of 1950s pub architecture and boasts a very large bar.