Eastgate. See the Sun Inn.
The Talbot was an alehouse mentioned in a 17th Century corporation lease, held in the Hull University Archives, that was granted to: - “William Johnson for two shops on the south side, and one shop on the north side of an inn called the Talbot on the east of Highgate” dated 2nd April 1645.
The same inn was mentioned again in the 18th Century in another lease dated 27th September 1766: - “John Anderson and wife Elizabeth to Hannah Whiting of Beverley Parks widow for £180 in all … now a public house called the Talbot” (DDCV/15/357).
The Talbot may later have been known as the Black Swan or the French Horn. The French Horn was probably a hunting reference, as was the Talbot, which is a type of hunting dog.
Another alleged reminiscence from George Armstrong’s journal in which he stated that the Tally Ho was “now a pork shop next to Dr Calvert’ s… once occupied by T Marshall, chemist”.
Francis Calvert, surgeon and later a JP lived at The Laurels, approximately seven properties east of the Valiant Soldier. There was a butcher at No.6 Norwood in 1915 [Armstrong was writing circa 1917] and this could have been the site of the Tally-Ho, alas there are no other references to this pub and it is another mentioned here for the sake of completion only - unless you know otherwise?
A bundle of deeds relating to the Tanner’s Arms are stored in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Archives, the earliest - dated 1820 described the property as “a house, and six tenements in Hind’s Place”. Later documents in the bundle show an abstract of title for William Parker Birkinshaw for the Tanner’s Arms for the period 1853 to 1889 (DDBC/15/451). William Farrer, joiner and builder built the Tanner’s Arms circa 1820 and it was described in his will as a “dwelling house with workshop, sheds, stable, gig-house and outbuildings”.
Several yards in the area may have been named after former victuallers of the Tanner’s Arms; Cook’s Yard was listed in the 1861 Census, and was shown on later maps to have been on the northern side of Keldgate, to the west of its junction with Lairgate. Pickard’s Yard was listed in the 1861 Census and was also to be found on Keldgate (Cook’s 1899 trade directory listed Pickard’s Yard to the immediate west of Hind’s Yard, almost at the junction of Lairgate, and Edmund Pickard was probably the first known victualler of the Tanner’s Arms).
The Tanner’s Arms was lost circa 1970, during what was possibly the unnecessary demolition of Nos.76 to 80, along with an adjoining house and a former Wesleyan Mission Hall. In the wall of the former brewery building was a carved angel holding a shield bearing a stag’s head that was rescued by a member of the Beverley Civic Society.
The Tanner’s name was a probable reference to the trade of the first licensee and the majority of his customers who would no doubt have worked at the nearby tanneries. Fortunately high quality photographs of the buildings survive from the former Hull Brewery archives and give an accurate record of the area – some of which are shown here. The link below shows the location of the former pub in a map re-drawn from an 1880s Ordnance Survey plan.
(The majority of the information on the Tanners Arms I have used here comes from an article by David Neave written for the Beverley Civic Society).
Select victuallers: - 1840 Edmund Pickard; 1858-59 James Abbott; 1860-64 William Thompson; 1867-72 Richard Lamb; 1874-89 John Cook; 1892-93 Mrs Lucy Cook; 1894 Lucy Barker; 1899 Louis Caley; 1913-21 Alfred Bentley; 1922-25 Benjamin J Whinnerah; 1926 Fred Hill; 1929 Claude Todd; 1930 Charles E Cheeseman; 1937-39 Mrs Annie E Gray.
Flemingate. See the Sun Inn.
The Telegraph Hotel was built in the 1840s (probably circa 1844) on the former gardens and nurseries of Mr Tindall. David Neave suggests in the revised Pevsner guide that: - “Telegraph Hotel of the late 1840s. The grey facing bricks and wide pedimented doorcase were reused from the 1804 theatre in Lairgate”.
The address of the Telegraph was originally (and correctly) recorded as Grovehill Lane, which at that time began at the junction with Trinity Lane. Later, possibly following the construction of Station Square, its address began to be recorded as Trinity Lane. The first section of Grovehill Lane had become separated from the rest by the new railway lines and it seems the small portion that was left then became known as part of Trinity Lane.
The Telegraph probably took its name from one of the many coaches that ran from Beverley, a trade that was challenged by the new railway station soon after the construction of the hotel.
During Nicholas Thrusk’s 30-year occupation of the Telegraph Hotel he often advertised its considerable facilities, for example in John Ward’s 1878 Beverley Almanac: -
“Under the patronage of H.R.H the Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge, Lord Londesborough &c. NICHOLAS THRUSK - COACH & CAB PROPRIETER - In thanking the public for their favours begs to state that he is enabled to supply Bridal Carriages, One and Two horse hearses, Mourning Coaches, Cabs, Gigs, Dog Carts, Omnibuses, Waggonettes and Post Horses to suit all classes. TELEGRAPH HOTEL, Beverley”.
Sadly, the pub closed shortly after I wrote my book on Beverley’s Pubs and was converted to private dwellings, but evidence of its coaching past can be seen from the later addition of an arched coach entrance at its eastern side (not shown on the 1850s Ordnance Survey plans). Also worth a look is the old painted advertisement for Magnet Pale Ales on the front wall, which can still just be seen – or it could…
Select victuallers: - 1848-51 Thomas Payne Johnson; 1855-69 Nicholas Thrusk; 1870-72 Mrs Elizabeth Thrusk; 1877-87 Nicholas Thrusk; 1889-1905 Mrs Hannah Sugdon; 1915-21 Misses B E & F M Sugden; 1929 George Taylor; 1937 Alex. Anderson; 1939 George Taylor; 1965-75 J Anderson; 1987 Albert Curtis.
Eastgate. See the Prince of Wales.
Highgate. See the Black Swan.
North Bar Within.
Early references to this inn often used a variant spelling the name Tiger, such as the Hull Courant of 10th March 1759, which recorded a meeting of the officers of the East Riding Militia at “the Tyger Inn Beverley”.
The Beverley Corporation Minute books of 3rd September 1804 recorded that the Corporation had no objection to “Mrs Charter putting out signs in respect of the Tiger Inn”. This signboard was hung from a “gallows style” structure that stretched across the footpath and out into the road. This long overhead beam was supported by upright posts and was the stopping point for coaches requiring a change of horses and can be seen on pictures of the area made by artist Thomas Malton junior in 1780 (see image 23 in Old Beverley).
The name of the Tiger may possibly have come from the nickname given to the young lad, a liveried servant, whose duty it was to put-up the luggage and ride at the back of the carriage, who was known as the Tiger. The building itself is of circa 1740 according to David Neave in the Pevsner guide, and closed as an inn in 1847 when the name was transferred to the Tiger in Lairgate. It was recorded as “the sign of the Tiger” in the York Courant of 26th June 1770.
The building has been saved from the developers over the intervening years due to its continued commercial success as a series of shops but it still takes little imagination to see it as an inn. For the complete history of the Tiger, one of Beverley’s premier coaching inns, readers should refer to History of the Tiger written by John Markham in 1988 to which very little can be added.
Select victuallers: - 1770 Mrs Todd; 1791 William Charter; 1804 Mrs Charter; 1811 Jinsy Harrisson; 1814-15 Thomas Russell; 1823-46 Charles Greenwood.
Lairgate. Also known as the Black Bull.
In December 1746 the Corporation granted a lease to “Peter Thompson joiner, a messuage called the Black Bull in Laregate and adjacent tenement on the south side of Minster Moorgate” (DDBC/16/163). The Black bull, “with brewhouse” was later advertised to let in the Hull Advertiser in January 1820 (“apply Mrs. Linward”) and again in March 1845. It was probably following the latter sale that its name was changed the Tiger, following the closure of Beverley’s more famous Tiger Inn in North Bar Within.
Farrah’s Yard was listed in Lairgate near the Tiger Inn and may have been named after John Farrah who was victualler at the Black Bull in the 1840s. The Census of 1851 recorded Frederick Scott aged 59, his wife, one son and two lodgers present at the inn. In 1858 prostitute Fanny Turner was found fighting on the floor of the Black Bull with another woman. She was described in the press as “a young lady of no enviable reputation”.
During the 1860s and 1870s when the Bainton family held the inn it was noted in the trade directories to also have a “shop”. Whether this was an early “off-sales” or bottle and jug department, or another type of business altogether is not known. The sign of the Bull was a common one but as this one was black it may have been a reference to a local coat of arms containing a black bull.
The Tiger Inn is now a Grade II listed building and is described in its listing as: - “Double pile building of early 19th Century [surely 18th Century?] origins, re-fronted in the 3rd quarter of the 19th Century, [and 2nd quarter of the 20th Century] probably by Elwell. Two storeys, brick, rendered below ground floor windows, with tile roof and applied half-timbering. Two windows of three lights flank gabled centre with barge-boards carved with vine leaves. The gable has two windows of two lights, below brackets carved with roses. Ground floor has two windows flanking a studded door. There are two ornamental rain waterheads at the end of the gable”( DoE serial No.8/142/87).
The pub is certainly one of Beverley’s most attractive and under the ownership of Darley & Co it underwent a series of alterations beginning in 1912, which resulted in the impressive mock half timbering re-front of 1931 which it retains (BOBE/6, 1912-10, BOBE/6, 1930-40a & BOBE/6, 1930-45). Although there appears to be confusion within its listed building description as to the age of the Tiger and its decoration, the evidence is quite clear and the core of the building would appear almost certainly to be of the 18th Century. The frontage was in fact designed by Hull architects Wheatley & Holdsworth (also the Rose & Crown of the same date) and fitted in 1931. At this point the interior was slightly altered and a small “bottle & jug” shop at the south end of the bar was removed. Sadly it was also in 1931 when all of the former stables and outbuildings were lost; the plans noted “all of these outbuildings to be pulled down and cleared away”.
The pub retains a long list of original features from the 1931 re-fit and before. Well worth a visit for more investigation and to note the almost unchanged layout, which gives a good reminder of how pubs used to feel.
Select victuallers: - 1746 Peter Thompson; 1784-1806 Peter Watson; 1814-34 Robert Watson; 1840 John Farrah; 1846 William Medcalf; 1848-55 Frederick Scott; 1858-59 William Lovell Jnr.; 1864 William Young; 1867-72 John Bainton; 1879-89 Mrs Sarah Bainton; 1892 E Voase; 1897-1916 Joseph Brown; 1921 Mrs Mary Brown; 1929 Joseph Brown; 1937 Frederick George Harrison; 1939-43 George V Tunstall; 1955 J H Hogarth; 1965 T B Robson; 1967 Stan Rayner; 1975 K P Berry; 1987 David Foster.
This one-off listing was recorded in the trade directory of 1831 and the premises may only have been licensed for a year or two. The so-called Beer House Act had been passed in 1830 and a mass of new licensed premises opened in the following years, many disappearing as quickly as they came once they had a taste of the competitive market or fell foul of the licensing regulations.
Rambler, an old time scribe writing in 1939 suggested this was an early name for the Spotted Cow whose address was actually Wednesday Market but there is no known corroborating evidence to support his theory.
Known victuallers: - 1831 William Padgett.
Molescroft. See the Molescroft Inn.
This beer-house appears to have started life as a marine stores shop and may have begun to serve ale to its customers who would have been thirsty sailors etc. from the Beverley Beck. The Traveller’s Rest was listed as new in an 1858 trade directory.
Long term residents at the pub were the Coates family from the 1860s to the 1890s and the 1881 Census listed John Coates aged 52 as head of the household, an innkeeper and marine stores dealer. With him at the pub were his wife, five sons, four daughters, a female visitor and one boarder or lodger.
The yard that was situated next to the pub was known as Traveller’s Rest Yard in the latter part of the 19th Century and the entrance survives as part of the building itself. Extensive alterations were made in the winter of 1896 for owner Harry Glew at which point a new “Club Room” was added at the rear of the property, suggesting that the pub may have been used by one of Beverley’s Friendly Societies for their lodge meetings (BOBE/6, 1896-21).
The pub was made redundant and closed in 1925, closing in the February of that year, when £800 was paid in compensation to the owners T. Linsley & Co of Hull. It later became a garage and cycle engineers’ shop known locally as Brentano’s, which it remained for many years. “Old Flames” who supply reproduction fire surrounds etc. currently occupy the buildings and many architectural details and furnishings remain inside.
This property, long known simply as the Tudor Rose restaurant, also opened as pub in 1985 and allegedly incorporates timbering and windows from the Golden Ball pub that was in Toll Gavel (according to Inn Places of Beverley by George Pinfold). The building has listed building status awarded in 1982 and in its description it is described as of the “mid-18th Century” (DoE serial No.10/396/82).
North Bar Within. See the Royal Standard.
North Bar Within. See the Tiger Inn.
Norwood. See the Cornerhouse.
Victoria Road. Also known as Friar Tuck’s and The East Yorkshire.
This huge pub opened as the East Yorkshire circa 1994 to serve the inhabitants of one of Beverley’s new housing developments and was known as Friar Tuck’s for a short while. Following an unfortunate fire and temporary closure in November 2000 it re-opened and continued to trade successfully as the East Yorkshire. In more recent years it has become known as The Victoria and is as good an example as any, of what will no doubt become known as 1990s pub architecture.
The dimensions of the largely unaltered rooms and their layout give a good impression of a typical Victorian beer-house and well worth a look even though they don’t sell beer anymore.
Select victuallers: - 1858-59 William Watson; 1864-89 John Coates; 1892-93 Mrs Eliza Coates; 1894 T Coates; 1897 John Hunter; 1899 John Hancock; 1910-24 John Nevison Taylor.